There is no getting around the fact that pornography is rampant in today’s society. At some point you are bound to see it, read it, or even hear it. Protecting yourself and loved ones from pornography needs to be a high priority. I believe the best way to protect me and my family is through filtering. At the Frei home there is a filter on anything that can get on the internet this includes laptops, desktops and phones.
I use K9 web protection services on everything, setup is easy and free. One problem with web filtering software that I always disliked was the ability to bypass the filter by using a different browser. K9 has fixed this; you cannot work around the system by using a different browser. (The one exception to this would be with the phone browser which I will address a little later.) You cannot uninstall k9 either without the password.
The password should be held by someone with that is physically present often, in case you need to make some adjustments. I asked that my wife be the possessor of the almighty password. I tend to think that by just being a guy you are at risk of getting entrapped by pornography; so guys, make your wife the designated internet key holder. There are numberless features that k9 offers to control internet usage on your computers at home.
Here are some of them…
- Forced safe search
- Compatibility with various anti-virus applications
- The ability to block web access during certain times of the day or night
- A detailed log of in depth information on the habits of all internet users. (that can’t be deleted for the history)
- You can also allow a website for only a specified amount of time on an as needed basis.
I have an iPhone 4, I love it! I am also aware of the glaring danger that it can present to kids or adults that don’t want to be exposed to pornography. The solution is fairly straight forward, here is how you can filter your device (apple).
- First Download the K9 Browser app from the App store.
- Go to Settings>General>Restrictions. Tap Enable Restrictions
- Find someone else to type in a 4 digit pass code (make sure they can remember it too)
- Now you will need to disable Safari (Youtube is not a bad idea either)
- Also restrict Apps, in particular 17+ apps; this prevents someone from bypassing the filter by downloading another browser, all browsers fall into the 17+ category.
- Now you can take that k9 web browser icon and slide it down where the Safari icon used to live.
- You’re done!
One thing I wish would get fixed is that if you are in an e-mail and click a hyperlink, k9 will not automatically open. Instead you have to press and hold until the copy button comes up, then you paste the web address into k9.
I believe that pornography is a real danger to our souls. It can derail what was once good relationships, and hurts loved ones. I can see nothing good about it. So if you are struggling with such a thing you need to ask for help from your spouse, religious leader, or a close friend. Even with all these awesome tools to protect ourselves and our family it needs to be understood that a person must exercise some level of self control because there will be opportunities in each of our lives where we are faced with a choice.
My hope is that with filtering we are able to practice the right choice enough so that when unfiltered opportunities are put in our path it will be second nature to not even think about it. It is my belief that our souls need to be fed good wholesome things to produce a good and wholesome life. My church, beliefs and communicating with God is a major part of feeding my own soul. I believe that we are here to live, joy filled lives and I cannot understand how someone can do that, with the harmful effects of pornography constantly weighing them down.
Here’s a video from our church on this particular topic.
What do you do to protect your family from stuff like this?